Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kolaches

On Saturday I made Kolaches for my family and Stephanie's family. They're like a sweet roll with a fruit filling in the center. They're really good but very time consuming to make! I thought I would post the recipe if any of you were adventurous enough to attempt them! They do take practice!




Czech Kolaches.



2 pkg yeast

1/3 C. warm water

1 1/2 T. sugar

2 C. potato water

1 C. mashed potatoes

1 C. sugar

2 tsp. salt

2/3 C. lard or butter

2 eggs

8 to 9 C. flour





Start yeast in warm warm and sugar, let bubble up. Warm potato water. Add mashed potatoes,
sugar, salt, lard and beaten eggs; beat well and add the dissolved yeast and 4 cups flour; beat for 5 min until light and fluffy. Work in rest of flour. Knead well and place in greased bowl. Brush the top with melted butter and place in warm place. Let rise till double in bulk; punch down and let rise again in warm place. Make into 2-inch balls, greasing hands to make balls. Let rise again for 15 mins. Make indentations in buns and fill with your favorite fillings (I use the Solo brand fruit fillings) and bake at 375* for about 15 mins. When nicely brown take out and brush with butter on top. Then remove from pan. Place on a towel and cover with dish towel. Makes about 4 dozen.






We had to use Cherry pie filling cause we ran out of the usually filling! It still tasted good though!



~Cassie





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Man did we love those! Thanks so much! I can say that they are so very good!

;)

Julia Marie said...

Oooh, those look really good! I'll have to try them when I have some spare time! LOL, the thought of spare time right now is funny :)

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Those look really good. I will have to be adventurous and try to make them sometime. I love raspberry jam so I bet that would make a good filling.
Kristen

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness - those are like... something cute you'd see at a tea party. :) I love it!

Karin said...

Yummy! I wish you lived nearby so you could cook for me. :)